PLEASE READ:

"Those who do not look upon themselves as a link connecting the past with the future, do not perform their duty to the world" ~ Daniel Webster

All my folks are famous to me!!

PLEASE READ:
This site consists of free genealogy information that may only be used to further your personal genealogy research. It may not be used for commercial purposes. Please source the information you receive from this blog as some information was acquired through original sources. Also many family members and institutions have graciously donated information and personal photos that can not be found anywhere else on the internet, so please remember to document individual sources (listed at the end of each biography) to your work.

CK BACK WEEKLY FOR UPDATES ON BIO'S

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Solomon Millikan


Samuel>William Sr.>William Jr.>Solomon>Jesse>Henry>Emma Jane Millikan


Solomon Millikan Original Headstone

Solomon and Nancy (Morgan) Millikan Restored Headstone

Solomon Millikan was born February 28, 1784 in Guilford North Carolina to William and Eleanor (Smith) Millikan. On June 5, 1804 he married Nancy Morgan in Grainger, Tennessee, the daughter of Henry and Nellie Gertrude (Cole) Morgan.  The Bondsman for the marriage was Charles Smith, They were married by the Justice of the peace Samuel Yancey. This union produced 14 children.

Children of Solomon and Eleanor:
William Millikan 1807-
Henry Millikan 1808-
Benjamin Millikan1810-
Eleanor Millikan 1811-1863
Susan Millikan 1814-
George Russell Millikan 1816-1878
Ellis Riggs Millikan 1819-1908
Louisa Millikan 1820-
Catherine E. Millikan 1821-1889
Nancy Millikan 1822-1890
Abraham Millikan 1823-1900
Solomon Jr. Millikan 1824-
Elihu Millikan 1825-1911

Solomon and Nancy lived in Grainger County, Tennessee. In November 1847, the family moved to Marion, Kentucky.  Solomon was a skillful gunsmith and early in life had a shop in Allen's Station, Tennessee, where he made rifles and holster guns. After his settlement in Kentucky he repaired and stocked guns and rifles. It is stated that his long rifles with hand forged barrels, cherry wood stocks and cunningly engraved brass mountings were considered to be fine shooters and Solomon was quite celebrated.

In 1999, Solomon's original headstone was still located in the middle of a field under a tree on the old homeplace, a short distance from the cemetery.  A commemorative gravestone has been placed in the Brown Wring Cemetery, sometimes called the Childress and Millikan Cemetery located off View Road, down a logging road.   


Source:
Headstone photos located at the Moesner-Arrick Family Tree
The Millikan/Hinrichs Connection by Ilona Hinrichs Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I started researching my family tree last year. My father is a West and my mother is a McClellan. Researching my family history has truly been a monumental task. I’ve spent untold hours searching for long lost relatives… Where’s a ghost whisperer when you need one? With the surname McClellan being so popular due to General George B. McClellan and the surname West being a geographical direction, the hunt was hindered on many occasions. Search engines have run me through the ringer. The fact is, I threw my hands in the air and swore to walk away from this project more times than I can remember. It really is a roller coaster ride. This project has caused me tears of anger, tears of joy and has heightened my already existing anxiety disorder to its limits. It has forced me to be patient when I didn’t want to be and caused me to be organized and detail oriented, which that in itself is a huge achievement. But most of all, it gave me hope and a sense of belonging.